Ioannis Komnios was born in Thessaloniki, Greece, on October 5th, 1984. In 2007, he received his Diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Democritus University of Thrace, Xanthi, Greece, and two years later, in 2009, he received a distinction for his MSc in Computer Networks from the same department. In 2015 he received his PhD on extending Internet access and enhancing mobile data offloading.
Since 2010 Ioannis is a researcher at the Space Internetworking Center (SPICE), while in 2011 he served as a visiting researcher in AALTO University, Finland.
Ioannis has worked on five research project funded by the European Commission and the European Space Agency and has also keenly participated in the preparation of research proposals, being a key author in several research projects. Ioannis has published several research papers mostly focusing on Delay Tolerant Networks, data offloading and extending Internet access, which are his main research interests.
- Delay Tolerant Networking (DTN)
- Routing Protocols
- Cellular Data Offloading
- Less-than-Best-Effort services
- UMOBILE - Universal, mobile-centric and opportunistic communications architecture, H2020 Project funded by the European Commission (Grant Agreement No 645124, H2020-ICT-05-2014)
- SPICE - Space Internetworking Center, FP-7 Project funded by the European Commission (Grant Agreement No 264226, FP7-REGPOT-2010-1), Role: Technical Manager and WP co-leader
- SDR - Space Data Routers, FP-7 Project funded by the European Commission (Grant Agreement No 263330, FP7-SPACE-2010-1), Role: Researcher
- Extending Internet Into Space – Phase 3 – ESA/ESOC DTN/IP Testbed Deployment and Optimization, Funded by the European Space Agency (ESA), 2010-2011, Role: Researcher
- Extending Internet Into Space – Phase 2 – DTN/IP Testbed Implementation and Evaluation, Funded by the European Space Agency (ESA), 2008-2010, Role: Researcher
- I. Komnios, and E. Kalogeiton, "A DTN-based Architecture for Public Transport Networks", Annals of Telecommunications, Springer, Vol. 70, Issue 11, pp. 523-542, 2015, doi: 10.1007/s12243-015-0473-8
- I. Komnios, T. Tsapeli and S. Gorinsky, "Cost-Effective Multi-Mode Offloading with peer-assisted communications", Ad Hoc Networks, Available online 7 August 2014, ISSN 1570-8705.
- E. Koutsogiannis, S. Diamantopoulos, G. Papastergiou, I. Komnios, A. Aggelis and N. Peccia, "Experiences from architecting a DTN Testbed", Journal of Internet Engineering, Klidarithmos Press, Vol. 3, No. 1.
I. Komnios, I. Alexiadis, N. Bezirgiannidis, S. Diamantopoulos, S.-A. Lenas, G. Papastergiou and V. Tsaoussidis, "SPICE Testbed: A DTN Testbed for Satellite and Space Communications", 9th International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks and Communities (TRIDENTCOM 2014), Guangzhou, China, May 5-7, 2014. [Presentation]
A. Sathiaseelan, D. Trossen, I. Komnios, J. Ott and J. Crowcroft, "An Internet Architecture for the Challenged", IAB Workshop on Internet Technology Adoption and Transition (ITAT), Cambridge, UK, December 4-6, 2013.
I. Komnios and V. Tsaoussidis, "CARPOOL: Extending Free Internet Access over DTN in Urban Environments", in ACM MobiCom Workshop on Lowest Cost Denominator Networking for Universal Access (ACM LCDNet '13), Miami, Florida, USA, September 30, 2013.
C. Samaras, I. Komnios, S. Diamantopoulos, E. Koutsogiannis, V. Tsaoussidis, G. Papastergiou and N. Peccia, "Extending Internet into Space – ESA DTN Testbed Implementation and Evaluation", 1st International Conference on Mobile Lightweight Wireless Systems, Workshop on Research activities funded by ESA in Greece, Athens, Greece, May 18-20, 2009.
I. Komnios, S. Diamantopoulos and V. Tsaoussidis, “Evaluation of Dynamic DTN Routing Protocols in Space Environment”, 5th International Workshop on Satellite and Space Communications, Sienna, Italy, 2009.
S. Lenas, I. Komnios and V. Tsaoussidis, "Comparison Between Static and Dynamic Routing on Networks that Utilize Constantly Changing Connectivity Maps", Eurhka 2009, Corfu, Greece, 10 september, 2009. [In Greek]
- I. Komnios, "Extending Internet access and enhancing mobile data offloading through peer- and vehicle- assisted communications", PhD Thesis
- I. Komnios, "Performance evaluation of networks that use reliable protocols on both link and transport layers", Master Thesis [In Greek]
- I. Komnios, "Performance evaluation of internetworking protocols in space environment", Diploma Thesis [In Greek]
- A. Sathiaseelan, D. Trossen, I. Komnios, J. Ott and J. Crowcroft, "Information centric delay tolerant networking: An Internet Architecture for the challenged", Technical Report: UCAM-CL-TR-841, ISSN 1476-2986
- Computer Communications (Elsevier) -- Outstanding Reviewer
- Ad Hoc Networks (Elsevier) -- Outstanding Reviewer
- Pervasive and Mobile Computing (Elsevier)
- IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- IEEE Communications Letters
- Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (Wiley)
- IEEE WCNC, IEEE WoWMoM, IEEE VTC, IEEE LCN, IEEE ISCC, IEEE WMCNT, ACM MobiHoc, ACM LCDNet, IFIP NETWORKING, EAI Mobiquitous, NEW2AN, ICCCN, WWIC, ISWCS, ISADS
Lecturer, TPC, Editor and Organizer Activities
- Lecturer at the "Workshop on New Frontiers in Internet of Things", ICTP, Trieste-Italy, March 7-18, 2016
- TPC in the 12th Asian Internet Engineering Conference (AINTEC 2016)
- TPC in the 14th International Conference on Wired/Wireless Internet Communications (IFIP WWIC 2016)
- TPC in Mobiquitous 2014 Poster Session
- Editor of SPICE Update newsletter
- Organizer of Workshop on terrestrial and space DTN
- Co-organizer of Delay- and Disruption- Tolerant Networks (DTNs) workshop
- Organizer of Workshop on DTN communications
Address: Skra 26, Xanthi, Greece
Zip Code: 67100
E-mail: ikomnios (at) ee.duth.gr